Tuesday 20 September 2011

Neti Cleansing Day 3

Good evening

How do? Have you had a good day at work? Let me get you a cup of tea and you can tell me all about it.

My day? Oh, it was good thank you. I taught yoga at lunchtime, it was great, I'm growing in confidence and the class seem to enjoy themselves. I've learnt a few things about myself and about teaching too. What things? Oh, just that it doesn't matter if people dislike my teaching style or whether they react when I ask questions in class, that's just the way life goes. All in all I've had a good day. Oh! And I just did my third day of neti cleansing. You want to hear all about it? Oh ok, well... Here goes!

Today, I felt pain. Ouch is a word I would use to describe it. Just pure, plain ouch!! I just went into the bathroom with kit in hand - when I say kit I mean my neti pot and a box of tissues. Filled the pot with luke warm water, tilted my head over the bath and started pouring and I was really unpleasantly surprised at how much my eyes watered and the feeling it created in the back of my throat. I can't even remember the exact pain, just that it hurt!! However, I persevered as one must and cleared the right nostril before openly blowing my nose in the bath again and doing the same on the other side. It didn't hurt as much on the left I am pleased to report. However, despite the pain, my nostrils feel clear, though I keep having to clear my throat. I must have some latent mucus sitting there that doesn't want to leave. I have to admit, I feel as though I have a love/hate relationship with this practice. It's good for me and afterwards I feel much clearer but at the time, I hate the pain. I'm not sure I should be feeling pain! Perhaps I'm doing it wrong...

I have just learnt through the magic of the internet that I'm doing it at the wrong time of day. Nasal irrigation is related to maintaining the kapha dosha, which is an energy pattern and according to Ayurvedic medicine, the body moves through a series of dosha changes throughout the day. The kapha (earth/water) dosha is dominant in the morning therefore practicing neti cleansing in the morning relieves some of the kapha excess. Tomorrow morning it is!!

Ok, I have to go now because I'm having a slight coughing fit which makes it difficult to type.

As my Nan would say, God Bless and as I would say, Namaste.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment